Disaster relief payments that are made to individuals and businesses impacted by the bushfires are tax exempt. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is also providing automatic deferral of lodgement and payment obligations for individuals and businesses in bushfire-affected communities. The ATO Emergency Support Infoline is 1800 806 218.

Call Services Australia on 180 22 66 for:

Disaster Recovery Payment – $1000 per adult and $400 per child for people severely affected by the bushfires

Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Payment – a one-off payment for New Zealanders who have been significantly affected by the bushfires. It’s not for minor damage or inconvenience.

Disaster Recovery Allowance – short-term income assistance for people severely affected by the bushfires.

Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Allowance – short-term income assistance for New Zealanders who can show they lost income as a direct result of the bushfires.

Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship – if you’re eligible for the Child Care Subsidy and have been severely impacted by the bushfires.

Call the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 for:

Sporting club assistance – concessional loans for eligible sporting clubs

Church and non-profit organisation assistance – up to $15,000 recovery grants (33 LGAs) and concessional loans for eligible churches and non-profit organisations.

The Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy pays for the cost of transporting:

fodder and/or water to an affected property

stock to sale or slaughter

stock to/from agistment

Visit a Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88 for:

NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants – financial assistance for eligible individuals who have low income and limited assets.

Visit Volunteer Firefighter Payment for:

payments for eligible volunteer firefighters who are self-employed or employed by a small or medium business and have lost income. Visit Support from non-government organisations (NGOs) to find out about the financial and practical support being offered by both commercial and non-commercial NGOs.

NSW Rural Assistance Authority (RAA)

The NSW Rural Assistance Authority (RAA) provides a range of grants, subsidies and loans to help primary producers, small businesses, non-profit organisations and sporting and recreation clubs affected by bushfires. See Disaster relief loans and Grants and subsidies for more information.